Thursday, February 21, 2008

Addendum to Up a Level


I think I'm going to start
a series of programming books called "What the fuck does this mean?"

I will be a co-author.

I will sit in a room with an expert programmer. I will hand them a basic tutorial question and they will write out a small response. Then they will hand it back to me.

Then I will scream "What the fuck does this mean?" And I'll hand it back to them.

They will re-write it. And hand it back to me. And I'll scream again. This will continue until I'm satisfied that what they have handed me is a coherent sentence and not some recursive brain-melting word problem.

The whole book will be written in this manner.

I may have to escalate to electric shocks during the process.

2 comments:

Silvanis said...

It's kind of ironic that programmers, the people who are have to learn how to break down things to the level of a two year old in order to get the computer to understand what you want, have problems doing the same for people to teach them how to program.

That said, I'd be more than happy to break down any programming concept you need help with. I'm pretty sure I can get things down to a level that about anyone could understand, if necessary.

Philip.Pardoe said...

I would so buy that book, I work with two programmes and everything they say just goes over my head, designers and programmers just dont mix in a nice way of course.