Thursday, July 05, 2007

Lack of Support


I think I figured out
why Jamlab doesn't work for me.

The drivers that are supposed to ensure 32-bit Vista compatibility aren't compatible with 32-bit Vista.

Which, yes, they're beta drivers, but you'd think that basic functionality wouldn't be spotty.

The device shows up fine in the Device Manager, but it won't start. The installed driver still shows up as the default (dated 2006) even after installing the update. Manually uninstalling the old driver and installing the most recent one has no effect. I believe the old driver may be installed by the device itself.

So I'm back to where I started.

I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any M-Audio stuff in the future. The support is just terrible. I can't even find any official forums.

---

On the other hand, I've gotten a look at Native Instruments Guitar Rig 2 and it looks mighty sweet. I have the fear, though, with computer audio, that things will not work or be glitchy or become obsolete. Understandably.

Plus it's a fuckload of money (370 bucks) to drop on noodling gear.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Dude, you're a smart, progressive guy, get a fucking Mac already.

Anonymous said...

Do you think maybe if I explained to Apple that I'm a smart, progressive guy they would give me a 90% discount on an iMac?

My problem is that I like playing videogames. A lot. I like playing them on PC b/c I can do that while I watch television with my wife. While Mac is getting better with this, they have a long, long way to go. To get even close to my current configuration I would have to spend 5000 or more on a Mac.

If I worked on my music even half as much as I played videogames, I probably would've sprung for a Mac instead of my current monstrosity.

God I wish I worked on my music half as much as I played videogames.

But maybe next year's bonus will go toward a dedicated music-production iMac.

Patrick said...

You can install Windows on your Mac and switch over as you need, while maintaining the security and reliability of OS X. Just don't surf the next too much while in Windows.

But yeah, money is a limiter; in a free market however, voting with your dollars is the only way that bullshit companies like MS won't dominate.

Anonymous said...

I got this problem, too. I installed Jamlab already, then try to^
set up GTexpress but it message that:
No compatible ASIO driver dectected on your computer. Please
install your M-Audio audio
interface first!
I don't know what do I have to do nĘ”
Please help me!