Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Meta-Worthless


Game revolution has
a pretty interesting feature that breaks down three aggregate video game review sites (RottenTomatoes, Metacritic and Gamerankings) and shows why they're all just fantastic pieces of shit.

I'd care, except I never use aggregate review scores. I find those sites useful because they collect a wide range of reviews in one place. Relying on a fudged average of letters and numbers from sites of varying import is something that seems a little silly. I kind of assumed that nobody else took those scores seriously, either.

When I do check out a game on Metacritic I read a large sampling of the individual reviews, noting each reviewer's unique perspective. If I'm on the fence about a game, I'll rent it or wait for a friend to purchase it. In fact, friends have more influence on my game-purchasing habits than anything else.

Ah well, I do so love reading about flawed methodologies.

No comments: